Well here are some great reasons to make New England one of your vacation destinations when visiting the U.S. If you love to drive and tour the scenic byways, a trip to Vermont could be just the ticket to creating a memorable adventure for you and your family.
1. Vermont is unbelievably lush and beautiful three seasons of the year. The transition from winter to spring can be a bit muddy, but overall there is something beautiful to see all the time.
2. Vermont is a wonderful place to really feel like you are getting away from it all. Although I only lived in Vermont for one year, whenever I need to relax, I think about walking along the little dirt road to my mom and dad's house in Barnard. There is something incredibly peaceful about the surroundings.
3. Great antiques! Just about every town has some treasure trove for antique shoppers.
4. Outdoor activities--biking, skiing, fishing, boating, running, walking, hiking, there's a place for all of that in Vermont. There are great books found either through Northshire Books or Amazon.com that can guide you to some great spots. Mt. Ascutney is one of our family favorites.
5. Only 3 hours from Boston- Take in the sights of Boston and then finish off your vacation with a relaxing day or two in Vermont. Getting to the Snapdragon Inn from Logan Airport is relatively easy and it's a beautiful drive.
6. Snapdragon Inn is just 20 minutes from New Hampshire--home of NO SALES TAX!
7. Driving across the US is a great experience. Our family has seen multiple states and it's always a treat to see the different landscapes of this amazing country.
8. If you love nature, Vermont is one of the best places to see birds, animals and foliage of all kinds. It's also a great place to learn about environmental issues--for instance, Simon Pearce glass works (Quechee and Windsor) uses hydroelectric power. You can learn about it on a tour of their facilities.
9. Great colleges in the area- Dartmouth, Vermont Law School, Middlebury, Bennington and University of Vermont
10. All within an hour or two from Snapdragon Inn: Ben and Jerry's factory, Montpelier (State Capital), Woodstock Inn (and Billings Farm), Montshire Museum, Simon Pearce, St. Gaudens State Park, Vermont Teddy Bear Factory, Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe (think Sound of Music--the real story), Dartmouth College (and the town of Hanover, NH)
So even though there may not be the fast paced night life, a roller coaster or a soft and sandy palm tree filled beach, there is plenty in Vermont- including the Snapdragon Inn, that make it a memorable destination for anyone.