When we decided on the name "Snapdragon" my designer mind latched right on to a word that lent itself to a unique, fresh, interesting, ethereal, and exciting design aesthetic. I just went for it! I could see a script but something unique and when using a script you are riding a fine line of readability. I like to check out DAFONT
for inspiration. Fonts are like candy for people like me...but very expensive candy. I came across the final font after trialing all sorts of fonts: serif
, san serif
, script, and modern.
After a little tweaking using the Direct select tool in Illustrator CS3
which is the hot spot to design logos because you are working in Vector
and not Pixel
(Raster) like in Photoshop, the type was ready. I saw the colors in my mind even before I started. I knew we wanted that fresh green and contrasted with the deep teal, the combo caught everyone's attention off the bat and we were go!
The icon took some time. I doodled, and traced, and looked, and spent time researching the shape and texture of snapdragons. I came up with some really UGLY icons. No really. At one point, I felt that the type was iconic enough to stand alone without an actual icon, but we wanted to have the flexbility to embroider an icon on towels and robes and just having one. So back to the drawing board, literally.
Finally, I enlisted the mind of Mom (the beauty of getting another mind on it) and she rose to the challenge. She sent me several doodles that I scanned and worked with in Illustrator and came up with several other icons before we got the one we finalized.
We liked the tall stems juxtaposed to the sweeping curves of the type. My lecturer from design school would say CRAP. Contrast, Repetition, Alignment, and Proximity. I think we've got it.