So, inn name aside, here are some interesting facts about snapdragons:
- The name antirrhinum is derived from the Greek “anti” meaning “like” and “rhin” meaning nose.
- It is said that that the common name for the flower comes from the “snap” sound it makes when the sides of the “dragon’s mouth” flower are squeezed together.
- It is said that concealing a snapdragon makes a person fascinating and cordial. Other legends state that snapdragons indicate deception (perhaps indicating concealment of one’s true feelings) or graciousness.
- Originated in the Mediterranean region.
- There are over 30 different species of snapdragons- producing a variety of colors including red, orange, yellow and lavender.
For more information on snapdragons, care and planting check here:
Garden Guides: Snapdragons
Annuals A-Z: Snapdragons
Garden and Hearth: Snapdragons